Know more

About cookies

What is a "cookie"?

A "cookie" is a piece of information, usually small and identified by a name, which may be sent to your browser by a website you are visiting. Your web browser will store it for a period of time, and send it back to the web server each time you log on again.

Different types of cookies are placed on the sites:

  • Cookies strictly necessary for the proper functioning of the site
  • Cookies deposited by third party sites to improve the interactivity of the site, to collect statistics

Learn more about cookies and how they work

The different types of cookies used on this site

Cookies strictly necessary for the site to function

These cookies allow the main services of the site to function optimally. You can technically block them using your browser settings but your experience on the site may be degraded.

Furthermore, you have the possibility of opposing the use of audience measurement tracers strictly necessary for the functioning and current administration of the website in the cookie management window accessible via the link located in the footer of the site.

Technical cookies

Name of the cookie


Shelf life

CAS and PHP session cookies

Login credentials, session security



Saving your cookie consent choices

12 months

Audience measurement cookies (AT Internet)

Name of the cookie


Shelf life


Trace the visitor's route in order to establish visit statistics.

13 months


Store the anonymous ID of the visitor who starts the first time he visits the site

13 months


Identify the numbers (unique identifiers of a site) seen by the visitor and store the visitor's identifiers.

13 months

About the AT Internet audience measurement tool :

AT Internet's audience measurement tool Analytics is deployed on this site in order to obtain information on visitors' navigation and to improve its use.

The French data protection authority (CNIL) has granted an exemption to AT Internet's Web Analytics cookie. This tool is thus exempt from the collection of the Internet user's consent with regard to the deposit of analytics cookies. However, you can refuse the deposit of these cookies via the cookie management panel.

Good to know:

  • The data collected are not cross-checked with other processing operations
  • The deposited cookie is only used to produce anonymous statistics
  • The cookie does not allow the user's navigation on other sites to be tracked.

Third party cookies to improve the interactivity of the site

This site relies on certain services provided by third parties which allow :

  • to offer interactive content;
  • improve usability and facilitate the sharing of content on social networks;
  • view videos and animated presentations directly on our website;
  • protect form entries from robots;
  • monitor the performance of the site.

These third parties will collect and use your browsing data for their own purposes.

How to accept or reject cookies

When you start browsing an eZpublish site, the appearance of the "cookies" banner allows you to accept or refuse all the cookies we use. This banner will be displayed as long as you have not made a choice, even if you are browsing on another page of the site.

You can change your choices at any time by clicking on the "Cookie Management" link.

You can manage these cookies in your browser. Here are the procedures to follow: Firefox; Chrome; Explorer; Safari; Opera

For more information about the cookies we use, you can contact INRAE's Data Protection Officer by email at or by post at :


24, chemin de Borde Rouge -Auzeville - CS52627 31326 Castanet Tolosan cedex - France

Last update: May 2021

Menu Logo Principal Oniris

Home page

Epidemiological modelling and its use to manage COVID-19

Insights into mechanistic models, by the DYNAMO team

Over the next few weeks, we will present some key elements of epidemiological modelling through short educational articles. These articles will help you to better understand and decipher the assumptions underlying the epidemiological models that are currently widely used, and how these assumptions can impact predictions regarding the spread of pathogens, particularly SARS-CoV-2. The objective is to discover the advantages and limitations of mechanistic modelling, an approach that is at the core of the DYNAMO team's work. The examples of models will be inspired by models used in crisis, but sometimes simplified to make them accessible.

#7 – If my test is positive, what does that mean?

Let's step outside of modeling for a moment to discuss an important question in epidemiology: what exactly does the result of a screening test mean?

A test is characterized by its sensitivity (Se) and specificity (Sp). The sensitivity of a test is its ability to give a positive result when an infected individual is tested (although one must know for sure that he or she is infected). The specificity of a test is its ability to give a negative result when an uninfected individual is tested (again, one must be sure that the individual is not infected). To determine the Se and Sp values of a test, experimental work is needed to compare the results given by this test with those obtained with another test with well-known characteristics (usually a gold standard).

However, when you go for a test, you do not know in advance what your health status is since you are trying to determine it. Once the test done, what is the probability of actually being infected when the test is positive? What is the probability of being truly uninfected when the test is negative? To find out, you have to calculate the positive (PPV) and negative (NPV) predictive values of the test. We must therefore know not only the characteristics of the test (Se and Sp), but also a third key information: the prevalence of infection p in the population which the tested indidivual belongs, i.e. the proportion of people who are actually infected in this population. This gives the following table:

Infected individuals

Non-infected individuals

Positive test

True positives (VP) = Se x p

False positives (FP) = (1-Sp) x (1-p)

Negative test 

False negatives (FN) = (1-Se) x p

True negatives (VN) = Sp x (1-p)

The predictive values can be calculated as follows:

VPP = VP / (VP+FP) = Se x p / (Se x p + (1-Sp) x (1-p))

VPN = VN / (VN+FN) = Sp x (1-p) / (Sp x (1-p) + (1-Se) x p)

Let's take as an example a large population like France (70 million inhabitants), where 10% of the people are tested (7 million). Let us imagine that the prevalence of infection is p=1%, and that the test has a sensitivity Se=90% and a specificity Sp=98%. The table gives:



Positive test

63 000 VP

138 600 FP

Negative test

7 000 FN

6 794 400 VN

Applying the above formulas to calculate the predictive values, we find that a person with a positive test result has a 31% chance (PPV) of actually being infected (and a 69% chance of not being infected). A person with a negative result has a 99.9% chance (NPV) of being truly uninfected. Other examples are shown in the figure below. The negative predictive value is very good when the prevalence is low, while the positive predictive value is less good, but allows the right precautions to be taken.

Valeurs prédictives négatives (tiret) et positives (continu) pour 2 jeux de valeurs de sensibilité et spécificité

Positive (VPP) and negative (VPN) predictive values of the test according to its sensitivity (in blue: Se=0.9; in black: Se=0.5), specificity (in blue: Sp=0.99; in black: Sp=0.98) and the prevalence of infection.

To sum up: tests do of course play a key role in controlling an epidemic, as they help to identify infected and uninfected individuals, but their use is not that simple. The uncertainty resulting from their sensitivity, specificity and prevalence of infection (which, remember, varies over time) must be taken into account in order to make a relevant use of their results.